Sunday 15 April 2012

Mother's Day 2012

Ok, I know this is a little late.

Mother's Day was a a slightly scary foody moment for me. I suddenly found myself in charge of cooking Sunday lunch for my family. My Sister suggest she host and I cook (she didn't want too get too involved with the working side of thing as it was her first Mothers Day as a Mummy). I couldn't really argue with her logic, she's caught me out with this type of rationalization many a time. Unfortunately for me my gorgeous little Nephew, Nate, has not yet fathomed the cooker and can't reach the chopping board so I was in it alone.

My survival plan was:

1. Choose a meat that can be served pink without the risk of food positioning
2. Get good quality meat that would have to be treated with complete contempt not to taste half decent
3. Roast veg, limits the amount of steaming pans on the hob
4. Ready made gourmet gravy (just don't tell my Mum!)
5. Get your Sister to sort pudding :-)

I opted for a leg of spring lamb from my local Butchers in Lichfield, Evans. They have rarely let me down and this was no exception. I put my faith in a Nigel Slater recipe and also consulted my Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall Meat book and thankfully it all turned out perfectly.


Firstly neither my Mum or Dad clocked the ready made gravy (or at least were too polite to say anything) and everyone agreed it was the 'best bit of lamb they'd had in a while'.

No comments:

Post a Comment