Tuesday 11 December 2012

OXO Tower

By far one of the flashest restaurants I have been to this year is the OXO Tower for a friends 30th birthday treat - set in the iconic building on the Thames with the most incredible views of London - it felt like a real fine dining treat.


We watched the fog roll in over the skyline as we were recommended wine by the sommelier and tucked into our three course dinner presented on crisp white linen. It was a great experience but I decided not to take photos for two reasons - the first I just wanted to enjoy it, and the second - there is a blue lighting scheme which would just make all the food look grey and not do it justice.

I went for crab wrapped in a cannoli style casing but had massive food envy of the lobster tempura served with a clear consomme one of the girls had. This I followed with the Venison with pistacho and even though on my way to being too full I went for the hazelnut pannacotta - perfect after the rich meat of the main. We all got stuck in to the birthday girl's Chocolate Plate - four heavenly puddings in one dessert.


This felt special - the views, the food and the company all made it... but there was something missing. It may have been the vast high ceiling and weird blue tinge to the lighting but it had a coldness, it is one of those places I am glad I have experienced but I do not feel the need to rush back and take others, which surprised me.

No comments:

Post a Comment