Sunday 31 July 2011

The Horseshoe, Hampstead

I love going out for Sunday lunch as it feels like a real indulgence, especially as we can make a great one at home, but it is nice not to have to wash up! So my mom visiting for the weekend was the perfect excuse for a treat before she headed home on the train, we went to Hampstead as not only is it pretty but close to Euston station too.

We to The Horseshoe, a bright airy pub with a small but perfectly formed menu. I really loved the flowers in vintage milk bottles on the tables, the hand lettered names on the back of old wooden chairs and the green melanin table surfaces reminded me of school.

We started with some bread with the customary salted butter on the side and a lovely glass of Sauvignon for my Mom and the Malbec (my new favourite red) for me from the quite extensive wine list.


We all went for the beef roast with a huge yorkshire pudding. The beef was quite rare but still warm - just how I like it! It also came with crispy roasters, green cabbage and root veg mash - a unusual but yummy way to serve veg and meant a great combination of textures. My only complaint was the gravy, delicious but nowhere near enough - all Sunday lunches out seem to have that problem and you always end up asking "Sir, can I have some more?"

No comments:

Post a Comment