Friday 18 November 2011

Birthday Chilli Almond Biscuits

Emily's birthday was a week or so ago but we only managed to meet up this weekend and I wanted to make something a bit different, something that would travel well (the journey from London to Lichfield can be a bit tricky with delicate baked goods) and included almonds - one of Emily's favourite ingredients.


I went straight to my bakery book of the moment - Dan Lepard's 'Short and Sweet' and looked up almonds, I was spoilt for choice but as something different was high on the list I skipped the predictable cakes and went for a savoury biscuit instead. I thought the chilli almond biscuit would also celebrate Emily's new found love of spice.


I decided to pop them in a kilner jar and tie on a ribbon with the recipe on the tag to make them feel like a special treat. I just hoped Emily would like them! I did when I tried one warm straight from the oven, the mature cheddar hit the spot and they were crumbly with only a mild tang of spice, the almonds add crunch and sweetness.


When I was making the dough I was worried the garlic paste was going to be too strong but it was softer in flavour when baked.


I halved the recipe and that is the one which is below as 40-50 biscuits seemed a bit much but you can freeze the dough and then you can always serve something up at 30 minutes notice as a pre dinner nibble with drinks.


Chilli Almond Biscuits

Makes 16-20


Ingredients:

• 87g unsalted butter, softened

• 87g grated strong cheddar

• 1/2 teaspoon chilli flakes

• 1/3 teaspoon paprika, sweet smoked is best

• 1 small clove of garlic

• 87g plain flour

• 1 tablespoon milk

• 75g whole blanched almonds



Method:

1. Chop the butter roughly and beat in the chilli, salt, paprika and garlic by hand, then mix in the cheddar well. I think I would grate the cheddar finely next time I make them. If using a food processor just put the above in and whizz together for a minute.

2. Add the flour and milk, work everything together to a smooth soft dough, then stir in the almonds - by hand.


3. Spoon half the mixture onto a sheet of non stick baking paper and roll it up into a cylinder about 4cm thick by 20-25cm long. Chill or freeze until firm.



4. Heat the oven to 180°C/Gas 4.

5. When firm remove from the fridge or freezer and slice into 1cm thick slices. I found when slicing the disks they lost their circular shape so I just gently reshapped them into rounds.

6. Place them a few centimetres apart on a lined baking tray for 20-25 minutes until golden.


7. Eat warm or leave to cool on a wire rack and store in an airtight container.


1 comment: