Thursday 3 November 2011

Bryon Burgers - the best burger in town?

I have been wanting to try Byron Hamburgers for ages, with new branches popping up all around London on an almost weekly basis and lots of people raving about them. I was lucky enough to go on a work outing, all in the name of research of course.

What attracted me was that every restaurant is slightly different, the one in Islington feeling slightly grungy but the one I went to in Covent Garden was more slick but still had a cool and relaxed feel to it with the muted colour palette, warm leather booths, old school style chairs, glossy tiles and stainless steel counter. The advertising outside is really cool too and I am a big fan of the stripped back branding.

The companies ethos is really nice too, simple food done well - so good quality meat, basic toppings, freshly made everyday in a nice environment, all inspired by the good old burgers from New York. They even have a special charity burger on the menu called the Gizz-mo, it was created by chef and TV presenter Gizzi Erskine with 50p going to Movember, a charity that raises money for men's cancers (usually by men sporting tashes during the month of November).

I was starving so went for a classic cheese burger with mature Cheddar, cooked medium and courgette fries on the side. I was worried it would not leave up to the hype but I need not have worried as it exceeded my expectations, the meat and flavour of the burger was amazing, really... well meaty, thinking about it makes my mouth water all over again. It was topped with the Cheddar that had been melted over the burger, topped with crisp lettuce, tomato, red onion and mayo, all served in a bun that was just right, not too flourey and a big gerkin on the side. Delicious.

The courgette fries were great too, they almost felt healthy and the batter was light so not to overpower the flavour of the vegetable.

For me the icing on the cake was the milkshakes - served in a frosted metal cup, the vanilla one I had was thick and rich but not overly sickly, it is so moorish you just keep drinking it down but a word of warning - watch out for the brain freeze!

I loved Byron and would recommend to anyone who loves a good burger, it was such a world away from any fast food or pub burger I have had. I can't wait to go back!

No comments:

Post a Comment