Tuesday 17 January 2012

An enjoyable New Years Resolution

I know this post is coming about two weeks after the beginning of the new year but this resolution is one I have been giving quite some thought.

I am a big believer in resolutions that you can keep - things such as not drinking for the whole of January, salad for lunch everyday and cutting out carbs forever are just not fun. You may feel virtuous for a week or two and then get bored and feel guilty when you give into that jar of Nutella in a weak moment (eating it with no spoon, just your hands - yep I am guilty) or head down to the KFC and scoff a family sized bucket between two of you (guilty, again), so I have decided on a good one I actually will look forward to keeping too, and will hopefully benefit foody faces too.

At least once a month I want to eat somewhere I have never eaten before, we often fall in to the trap of going to a local we love or just somewhere convenient. It doesn't have to be fancy but should still feel like a little treat... so I have made a list of restaurant I would like to visit before the end of the year. In no particular order...

Spuntino - owned by the guys who set Polpo and Polpetto (which are also on the list), it is an Italian American relaxed restaurant with a no reservation policy.
Polpo or Polpetto - both are inspired by food in Venice, the first serves small plates, where as the second is smaller and a little fancier.
Zucca - I met the sous chef through a food stylist and they were both lovely and even though I know they are biased I really want to try this Italian they have raved about.
Gaucho - I have been to this Argentinean steak place and it was great but I need to take the boyfriend to try it out.
Smiths of Smithfield or The Luxe - I would love to go one of John Torode's meat heavy restaurants.
Barrafina or Fino - Both serve unusual and classic Spanish tapas dishes, one takes reservations but the other doesn't, both owned by the same people.
Rosa's - A modern and simple thai restaurant which will be easier on the wallet than some of the other options.
Brawn - Nose to tail eating on Columbia Road.
NOPI - This came hugely recommended by one of my favourite food stylist so I would love to go and try Ottolenghi's food here, plus all the plates are designed for sharing which is one of my favourite ways to eat.
Pollen Street Social - Jason Antheron's first venture after learning the trade with Gordan Ramsey and at El bulli before it closed its doors. It has received huge critical acclaim. Bit pricey so would make a great cheap.
Bocca di Lupo - Another Italian which has been highly recommended by a work college.
• Assaggi - Yet another Italian but judging by the reviews a really really good one, no websire but I think its going to be on the pricey side.

That takes the total up to twelve which is one a month but for good measure and the one I would love to go to more than any other this year is Dinner by Heston - I won't make it to the Fat Duck this year but would love to try the meat fruit at the culinary alchemists London venture.



No comments:

Post a Comment