Saturday 21 January 2012

Spuntino, finally

I have been wanting to visit Spuntino's for a while and so put it on my New Year resolution list of places to try out and I have managed to tick it off and so glad I have. The reason it has took so long is due to the no reservation policy which means every time we have we have tried to go, the queue has been long and us hungry so we have not waited.

We timed our visit as a late lunch after a Saturday afternoon shopping trip. The outside is very unassuming and it is easy to walk past amongst the sleazy part of Soho but once inside you are transported somewhere completely different. It has a beautiful wood pannelled ceiling, moziac tiles and a zinc bar top but it is completely the opposite of how this might sound, its really grungy with bare bulbs and unfinished walls and I loved it - with a rock a billy sound track playing and only a short queue we knew we were in for a treat.

We only waited 20 minutes and then got a cosy spot up the corner of the bar, basically the majority of the seating is around the bar, only about 20 seats and then there is a 7 seater table in a little alcove towards the back of the place. We already knew what we was gong to order as we had been eyeing up everyone else's food whilst we waiting.

We went for a slider each (basically a mini burger), a salad, some pasta and fries to share, the menu is a little Italian, a little New York so nothing is quite as expected. The sliders were amazing and my one of pulled pork and pickled apple is one of the best things I have eaten in ages. I had to save a mouthful until the end as I wanted it to be the last thing I tasted. The boyfriend went for the beef and bone marrow with cheese and tiny gherkins, a classic combination but the meat was (again) some of the best we have tasted in a while.


We opted for some really skinny fries which were more like crisps as the potato was very fine and had loads crispy skin on and a salad to make us feel slightly healthy apart from the generous amount of gorgonzola with pear and walnuts.


The last to arrive was the mac n cheese served in a rustic metal saucepan that kept the food hotter than the sun for a while. This had a good amount of mustard stirred through to give the simple pasta dish a bit of kick. It might not sound like a lot of food for two but we were stuffed - I was disappointed though as I really fancied a dessert, they sounded a bit unusual but I just couldn't eat another bite.

I would love to go back as its definitely worth the wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment