Wednesday 9 May 2012

Cay Tre Vietnamese, Soho

We popped into Cay Tre in Soho to soak up the wine from a booze filled evening and was pleasantly surprised by the cool interiors, lovely patterns on the menus, the very sweet staff (who managed to squeeze us in) and the fresh and filling food.


We started with BBQ spare ribs - they were huge and unlike any I have had before, they were crispy and delicately flavoured with five spice and lemongrass, I missed the syrupy (but often too sweet) sauce that I am used to but enjoyed them loads.


We also went for a sweet potato shrimp fritter, again for a starter on the large size but I am not complaining as this was so tasty, we broke bits off, wrapped it in the lettuce and dipped it in to the authentic nuoc cham dip - a clear sauce flavoured with chillis, fish sauce and lime.


We both went for the same for our mains as the person on the table next to us had it and it looked yummy.  Called Bun Sa, it is vermicelli noodles served at room temperature with bean sprouts, cucumber, mixed herbs, crispy shallots and peanuts, then nuoc cham dip is poured in too, I went for it with red sea prawns.


 I finished the meal off with salted caramel ice cream, not needed as I was stuffed but was glad I did!


I really love vietnamese food and this may not take over from my regular place called Pho which felt a little cheaper, it was great for a treat as the food was fresh and authentic and the setting lovely.

No comments:

Post a Comment