Tuesday 15 May 2012

The health kick begins... well maybe


The wedding season is already in full swing and with a holiday fast approaching I need to get healthy so this week I am all about the lunchtime salad.

I love salads as long as they interesting - full of different textures and flavours (and maybe some cheese), I had one at a local restaurant called The Wet Fish Cafe, which I loved so I have tried to recreate it at home.

Superfood Salad


Ingredients (enough of each to serve 2 people)
• Butternut Squash, peeled and cute into small cubes (I brought the prepack stuff)
• Quinoa (usually 30g uncooked)
• Tenderstem Broccoli
• Peas
• Asparagus, cut into bite sized chunks
• Watercress
• Avocado, peeled and the flesh chopped
• Cherry Tomatoes, quartered
• Herbs - I used basil, mint and parsley
• Feta, crumbled
• Handful of Sunflower Seeds

Dressing
• Juice of half a lemon
• A good couple of glug of olive oil
• Rock salt (I love Maldons)
• Fresh ground black pepper

Method
• Place the butternut squash on a baking tray with olive oil drizzled over and roast for 30-40 minutes in a 200° preheated oven until cooked through.
• Cook the quinoa according to the pack instructions and leave to cool.
• Steam the asparagus, broccoli and peas according to instructions - usually 5 minutes for the first two and 2 minutes for the latter.
• Combine the ingredients for the dressing by giving them a good mix.
• Once these ingredients are cooled combine with the watercress, avocado, tomatoes, herbs and dressing, season well and sprinkle over the feta and sunflower seeds.

No comments:

Post a Comment