Monday 29 November 2010

Going Back To My Roots

 Jade bought me the Canteen cookbook for my Birthday. It's packed full with great recipes that reminded me of my childhood.



British food can often get a bad press, it's not glamorous, not exotic but done well it's fantastic. Canteen is an example of unpretentious, good quality and delicious cooking that is worthy of being called Great British Food. If you ever get a chance go as it's excellent value and feels like a home-from-home. It also remains the only place me and Jade sacrificed our wine in favour of finishing our food as it tasted that good.

On a cold, misty night this book inspired me. What better antidote to the winter blues than a proper beef stew with proper suet dumplings. As always I didn't follow the recipe 'to the t'. Instead of red wine I used a bottle of Marston's Pedigree ale, think Canteen would approve :-)




I have to admit that mine didn't look as nice as the picture in the book, but it tasted amazing and the dumpling were far better than any I've ever made before that didn't use suet.

No comments:

Post a Comment