Wednesday 28 September 2011

The best burrito in town


In the relatively small area around work I am spoilt for choice for a burrito, the increasingly popular Mexican street food!

All are really tasty to be fair but each have their pros and cons...

There is Daddy Donkey, housed in a massive take away truck on Leather Lane - very tasty and they have a loyalty scheme but the queue is often huge and the prices have recently increased to £6 for a chicken burrito with guacamole They by far have the quirkiest branding.

Next up is Burrito Bros, one of the only ones with a permanent home, again yummy and they do a smaller size option as sometimes a huge burrito is just too much for an average lunch (and is cheaper too). The people in their shop are really friendly too and I think the quickest. They are even open late and have a tiny Tequila bar downstairs but I have only tried it out for lunch so far.

The only one I have not tried yet (but hoping to rectify this situation on Friday lunch) is Luardo's on Whitecross Street. I spotted it before as they are served from a cute green van with very nice typography on the side, plus at this food market, you can buy food from the stalls and eat at one of the pubs on the street.


Finally, my preferred one - Freebird on Exmouth Market. They also have a few other locations in London too and on the side they also serve griddled chicken skewers with unusual salads from a stall called Pincho Pinxto, still very filling but feels slightly healthier. I think this is the place for burritos and fajitas I choose over any other is because...
- the medium salsa has a great kick but is full of flavour rather than hot spice
- the meat is tender and good quality
- the guacamole is chunky and not as sloppy as some of the other stalls
- and especially because their customer service is great!


I got back to my desk last week and my chicken fajita was lacking any chicken but I didn't have time to go back and change it so I tweeted them and they very kindly offered me a free one the next day. I went up and all the staff were so apologetic and lovely and as I was picking one up for the boyfriend too, they gave me that one free as well and a can of pop! Without this kind of customer service I would have gone to one of the other stalls instead. Many businesses (especially small ones) can learn from their example as you can always forgive people making mistakes (we all do it) as long as they make it right, which Freebird Burrito's did!


No comments:

Post a Comment