Saturday 3 December 2011

Busaba Eathai

This restaurant chain has been around for a while, but I only managed to go to Busaba Eathai at the weekend as a lunchtime treat whilst taking a break from shopping at the new shopping centre - Westfield in Stratford.

The restaurant concept is one of Alan Yau's, the genius behind Wagamama (which he sold in 1997), the Michelin starred Hakkasan and one of my favourite restaurants in London and Yauatcha - a French Asian patisserie to name a few. The thing that links all his restaurants are Asian flavours (often taking influences from elsewhere) and a very aesthetically pleasing and welcoming environment.

The name of the restaurant 'Busaba' is a thai flower and 'Eathai' a combination of the words eat and thai, it is a relaxed environment with some communal tables and some benches facing the window. Lots of dark wood and die cut screens are balanced with large windows that let in lots of natural light.

I love thai food so was excited to see that the menu had some variations on the classics such as green curry and pad tai as well as soups, noodles and grilled options. I went for a mango lassi to drink which included yogurt, rosewater, honey and cardamon - surprisingly refreshing for something with a smoothie texture and not too sweet, I could have drunk a gallon of the stuff.


I then went for a green curry (which I know is the safe option but I hadn't had one in ages and I think you can judge a place on their green curry) with stargazer monkfish and pea aubergine and corn, something I have never had in a green curry but the texture and flavour worked. Served with jasmine rice.

My friend went for stir fried ginger beef which was also delicious, and we shared Goong tohd prawn in breadcrumbs served with a perfectly balanced and yummy chilli lime sauce.

It wasn't the best thai food I have eaten (but living in Bangkok whilst at university for two and half months I sampled a lot of good stuff) but it was still pretty damn good and I would definitely go back. The service was attentive, the environment welcoming, the food was tasty and quick and that mango lassi..... mmmmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment