Thursday 1 December 2011

This weeks cheap eats....

Beef Ox Cheek

Image via Paradise to Plate

This cut isn't always easy to find but it's becoming a little more popular. It's usually minced in with other cuts to make beef mince, but on it's own it's a delicious and cheap alternative to more pricey stewing cuts like Braising Steak, I bought one large cheek and it coast me £2.61 and it was more than enough to feed two hungry adults.

The solid cut of meat needs long slow cooking to gain a melt in the mouth meal, but it requires little effort to prepare so it's well worth the wait. I created my own version of a Beef Stifafo and it worked really well, if you see some on sale and fancy doing the same here is my quick to prepare mid-week dinner:

Cut the Ox Cheek into hearty chunks, toss in seasoned flour and brown in a slizzingly hot pan. Remove the meat from the pan and then fry off some chopped onion, garlic and then once softened add in the meat again. Add some beef stock, can of tomatoes and then a cinnamon stick, bay leaf, grate of nutmeg and and a sprig of thyme. Season with salt and paper and then just leave to simmer gently for 2 hours with the lid on the pan ( I used my Tagine which is perfect for this type of cooking). If you have any add a splash of red wine too.

Serve it with crusty bread, potatoes or rice (anything you fancy really). A great dish that reminds me of the sunshine yet feels strangely festive because of the mix spice aromas.

No comments:

Post a Comment