Saturday 1 September 2012

Lichfield Food Festival

It's almost as if I'd planned it (might have got away with it if I hadn't have said anything), Jade came to visit for the weekend and it just so happened it was the very first Lichfield Food Festival.

Find out about next years at lichfieldfood.co.uk

After a lazy morning we strolled in the sunshine into town and made our first stop at the Guildhall for the 'Meet the Brewer' display. We had a nice chat to a lady from Purity Brewery based in Warwickshire and got to try a few of their tipples, my favourite was the Pure Gold.

Image via www.puritybrewing.com

I also loved the little tasting notes they had, especially the food matching. They had suggested dishes from various restaurants in and around Birmingham that bring out the best in the ale - really nice touch for a food fan :-)

Next we headed over to the Garrick to have a look around the other exhibitors, from fudge to olive oil it was all here. I bagged myself some bargains from the Kitchen Shop stall including some egg poachers - never at risk of losing my yolk again! I also bought some chocolate and raspberry fudge from awesomely named UFO - Ultimate Fudge Outlet and some ales from the very local Quartz Brewing. We also stopped by to see the lovely Sugar Surgeons where we filled up on very delicious cake.

My goodies from the Quartz Brewery based in Kings Bromley, Lichfield.

The only negative was we'd arrived just as the auditorium had had emptied from the Hindley's Bakery demonstration and the room was packed with people, some stalls were impossible to get close to - Packington Moor was one, I just had to pear over other peoples shoulders and admire their goodies from afar.

After battling our way through the crowds we decided to nip upstairs to the 'Worth Brothers - Vineyard in the Sky'. There we could taste taste a range of wines and enjoy discovering some new gems in a more relaxed environment. My favourite by a long shot was a New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc from the Morton Estate, tasted of passion fruit and took me right back to sipping on Big Wave in Hawaii.

White Wine selection from the Worth Brothers - Vineyard in the Sky
Tasting Notes from the Worth Brothers - Vineyard in the Sky
It was a great day and it was clear from the crowds it was a great success and I'm pleased to say it will be back next year in September. Hopefully they can find a bigger venue now they have seen the popularity of such an event.

No comments:

Post a Comment