Saturday 15 September 2012

Packington Moor Farm Shop and Cafe

After my visit to the Lichfield Food Festival (where I couldn't get anywhere near the Packington Moor and had to do with peering over other peoples shoulders to spy on some fabulous looking sausage rolls and cakes) I decided that it was time to visit Packington Moor Farm Shop and Cafe.

It's one of those ridiculous instances where I've driven past a place on numerous occasions, but never ventured in. Me and my Mum decided to treat ourselves to a spot of lunch out and I suggested we drop in and give it a go. Since my visit I'm left with an annoying feeling inside, I've been missing out for yonks, should have gone earlier - all the food I could have eaten, all the tea I could have drank, all the lovely things I could have bought, what a crying shame. I did what I could to make up for lost time...

We picked our lunch for the light bites section of the menu, I went for the Pork and Chicken Terrine with apricots and homemade chutney. Served with a little salad that tasted like it had just been picked and wonderfully soft bread and REAL butter. It was an absolute delight.

My pork and chicken terrine

My Mum on the other-hand went for the 'Quiche of the Day', Smoked Cheese and Ham, and being a good Mum she let me try a bit - it was delicious!

Quiche of the Day - Smoked Cheese and Ham

After we polished off our lunch we each had a cone of Bennett's Farm ice cream - well the sun was shining. Mum went for Strawberry and I went for the Rum and Raisin ( It's a retro classic). The best thing is though that once you've eaten you are only a few steps away from the shop where you can buy everything you've just eaten and attempt to recreate your experience at home.

I ended up buying some of the quiche for dinner and my Mum bought some of the terrine, food swap! Everything is local, fresh, homemade and authentic, I LOVE this place. Plus, to make it even better the staff are lovely and the prices aren't stupid.

The selection on the butchery selection is impressive and I couldn't resist buying a big honk of this rib eye. It's pricey, but probably the best steak I've eaten, Sean did a good job of cooking it.

The biggest rib eye steak I've ever seen!

Smoked Cheese and Ham Quiche for dinner

I'm really impressed with this business, they have got it spot on and it makes me proud to be British and a Midlander. Seeing all this wonderful produce for sale and tasting some of the fantastic home cooking they have created means my return visit will be very soon!

And soon it was, only a few days later Me and my Sister went and I can happily report that the pots of tea are huge (always a sign of a good establishment in my book) and the Sundried Tomato and Mozzarella Quiche was yummy :-) 

No comments:

Post a Comment