Thursday 30 June 2011

The Ice Queens

What feels like an absolute age ago now, but was probably last month some time, my Sister purchased two vouchers through Living Social to attended a Bake180 workshop in Tamworth. We booked our places almost immediately and have been patiently waiting for the evening to arrive and finally put out of our misery yesterday.


Both me and Sue enjoy baking and turn our hand to a bit of cupcake icing but always wondered how people create this magnificent specimens of goodness. Thankfully the Bake180 workshop gave us a few of the trade secretes.

For two and a half hours we got to play with molds, cutters, glues, sparkles, luster, colourings and glitter shakers and just when you think the evening couldn't get any more girly a classic Dirty Dancing tune came on the radio, ahhh bliss!

Sue getting to grips with the sugarcraft molds
The biggest revelation of the evening were the sugarcraft molds, I didn't know these things existed but it means you can create elaborate and complicated designs like flip flops and butterflies with real ease. You can buy them for around £6 for the small ones but would soon get your money's worth from them.

The top tip of the evening was to use cornflour rather than icing sugar to help stop your icing from sticking then leave your items to dry before brushing off the excess with a small, soft paint brush.

Designs using molds and cutters
As well as the molds and cutters we were also shown how to create roses from scratch, I loved doing these and once you're shown how it's so easy and means you don't have to spend any money on molds.

My first sugarcraft rose
Once you're created an array of toppers you're handed 12 beautifully even cupcakes to decorate, along with with a big piping bag full of luscious butter cream.

Sue decorating her cakes
Sue's finished designs
The Tupperware Tub of Happiness - I aspire to own one of these one fine day
I was really chuffed with my designs, I picked up lots of things that I know I can use again and I also had a lot of fun at the workshop. I think I have finally created cupcakes worthy of the beautiful cake stand Lisa gave me for Christmas, so a little photo shoot was in order. Here are my finished creations....





Very proud of my rose cupcakes...


No comments:

Post a Comment