Thursday 30 June 2011

Mum's Birthday Treat

Last month my Mum, Sister and me were treated to a Birthday dinner by my Dad. The four of us enjoyed a three course lunch at Netherstowe House in Lichfield.

I've been here before and enjoyed Afternoon Tea with Jade and Cheese and Wine with Lisa and once again I wasn't disappointed.

It's a strange place, not in a bad way mind you, maybe magical is a better way to describe it. The Grade II Listed Boutique Hotel sits within a very unassuming housing estate in Lichfield, shielded from the modern world by trees and weathered brick walls I've spent years passing by not knowing of it's existence. When you arrive you feel like you're in an episode of Downtown abbey, greeted at the door by a smartly dressed man who invites you to in and leaves to relax in the sitting room.


The attention to detail is astonishing ever clock, cushion and candelabra is is perfectly suited to the surroundings and this attention is carried through in the service. You can't help be feel calm and relaxed when you're here, everything is taken care of and the real world seems to be in a parallel universe left at the entrance to the house.

The menu is very classic with obvious French influences which you'll see from the food we had below...

Mum's starter of  Smoked Duck Breast with a Hint of Jasmine served with Blue cheese and a Sherry & Coffee Jelly

Dad's starter of White Ragstone Stilton and Candied Walnut Parfait served with Pear and Celery Jelly and Wholegrain Croute

Sue's starter of Grilled Red Mullet served with Shallot Puree with Wild Mushroom Panache and Velouté de Champiñones
For my lunch I chose to start with the Velouté of Jerusalem Artichoke with White Truffle Oil, followed by Pan Roasted Chicken Breast with Wilted Baby Leaf Spinach and Boulanger Potato and finished off with the Deconstructed Ricotta Cheesecake with Poached Pears and Oat Biscuit Fine.


My Main of Pan Roasted Chicken Breast with Wilted Baby Leaf Spinach and Boulanger Potato


Everyone was delicious from the bread we were offered at the start of our meal along with the selection of butters - paprika, herby or plain to the amazing pudding a the end. I'm not one for anything described as 'deconstructed', but, well, it was deconstructed and it was amazing?!

So putting the gorgeous location, the interesting menu, tasty food and attentive service aside the main reason why I love this place is that although it has ever reason to be arrogant and stuffy it isn't, instead it feels like home which is why I keep going back and would highly recommend it to anyone.

Think next time I go I'll have to stay over night, just so I can review the breakfast of course!

No comments:

Post a Comment