Saturday 15 October 2011

Kettners followed by an afternoon at the theatre

As a birthday treat for my mom I decided to take her to see Jersey Boys at the Prince Edward theatre in Soho but first for a spot of lunch.


I chose Kettners for its location, great priced set menu (found through toptable) and it looked lovely. The decor is feels a little French and embraces the shabby chic look with worn mirrors and rugs, opulent booth style seating along one wall and white painted wood panelled walls.


I was a bit worried it would be lacking in atmosphere as it was a lunchtime but the place was bustling. The menu was £20 for two courses and a cocktail. We both started with a cocktail, I went for Kettners 75, a delicious mix of gin, pear puree, lemon and prosecco - the lemon balanced really well with the sweetness of the pear. Mom went for the very fruity and refreshing Menage Framboise - vodka, creme de framboise, lemon, sugar and soda.


Even though we were choosing from a very limited set menu I wanted to try everything on it! In the end we both went for the glazed smoked salmon in a pink peppercorn and champagne sauce, it was lovely but it felt more like a brunch dish as the sauce reminded me of hollandaise.


I then went for the super unhealthy towering burger and chips, the beef was Galloway Longhorn and juicy and cooked medium rare to perfection. My mom was trying to be slightly healthier so went for the roasted vegetable tart with a creamy goats cheese and even though it was yummy she was very jealous of the burger.

Unfortunately we didn't have room or time for pudding so grabbed an ice cream in the interval of the Jersey Boys, which was brilliant. The whole day felt like well deserved birthday treat.

No comments:

Post a Comment