Thursday 20 October 2011

Padstow & Rick Stein Overload - Part 2

After working up an appetite on the bicycle ride and getting completely covered in mud, we headed back to the hotel to get glammed up for a champagne reception before heading to the most impressive of Rick Stein's restaurants in Padstow - The Seafood Restaurant.

We started with a selection of bread which was washed down with Rick Steins own wine. the restaurant itself is really simply decorated and again feels quite relaxed but the service and food elevates it to something special.

We were treated to a six course tasting menu and everything was amazing, it is difficult not to end up repeating myself on each course so I will just talk about the two stand out dishes for me. The first course of carpaccio of hand dived scallops with pickled ginger was beautifully presented in its shell, tasted so fresh and the flavours were delicate and complimented each other perfectly, I especially liked the crispy seaweed.

This was followed the sea bass fillet with roasted fennel seeds, this was my second favourite dish, again because I think it tasted so fresh and light, plus the wine hadn't quite kicked in yet so I have the most vivid memories of these first two dishes.

The third course of fish and shellfish soup divided opinion on the table, I really enjoyed mine (so much I burnt my tongue in my eagerness to eat it), it was unusual being served with parmesan to sprinkle on top but I loved the cheese and fish combo. I think what may may have put people off was that this was the fish-ist course of the meal.

This was followed by the 'main' course (I say main as it was the biggest dish) of braised fillet of brill with autumn black truffle, silvers of potato, mushrooms and truffle oil.

I said I was only going to rave about two dishes but I almost forgot how I devoured the pudding. By this point people were wandering round chatting but I stayed put and barely spoke apart from to make noises such as 'mmmmm' as I tucked in to apple and blackberry pavlova with creme anglaise. The meringue was by far the lightest and most delicious one I have ever tasted, and was perfectly set off by the slightly tart berries.

We then finished off with petit fours and coffee, but these tasty little treats did not get the recognition they deserved as everyone was so full and being distracted by the cocktails at the bar! I had a couple of the white chocolate truffles but just couldn't try anymore as I was so full.

I would love to go back to this restaurant as the food, service and settings was perfect, plus it felt like a real treat and a great way to celebrate 25 years of Design Bridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment