Tuesday 29 March 2011

Livin' la Vida Loca

I went to Barcelona for a long weekend to celebrate my friend Lisa's forthcoming wedding. It was a fab hen do, chilling in the sunshine and exploring the city.

So here are my top reasons why any Foody Face should love Barcelona...

1. The Panaderias aka bakeries but panaderias sounds way better!


Along with 'la farmacia' there seems to be a little bakery on every street corner, the selection of cakes and pastries are mouthwatering. 

They have a wide variety of goodness, including cupcakes, croissants, meringues, flans and artisan breads and everything else in between. It kinda begs the question, how do these Spanish senoritas stay looking so slim?!



2. Gelato shops and stalls.





This stall is located on La Ramblas serving a vast selection of ice cream flavours along with waffles and toppings galore, the waffles smelt amazingly sweet.

I was good and didn't have any (ok the truth is I wanted some but wanted to take photo's more and needed to keep my hands free, and yeah the truth is also that I regret that decision!!)



3. Cool Vending Machines


Located on our hotel's ground floor, I was pretty excited when I spotted the full sized Toblerone for 1.50 but then I clocked the mini tins of olives - genius!



4. Camp Nou Cuisine 


You can keep your soggy meat pies and curry sauce the grub available at FC Barcelona is way more sophisticated (and delicious) than anything I've ever seen at stadiums in the UK. This apple tart was yummy and due to the fact it was at least 20% fruit it made a healthy(ish) breakfast :-)



5. Buenas Migas


This cute little cafe is the brain child of two passionate bakers, one from Italy and one from Cornwall who settled on Barcelona as the home for their business venture.

I first spotted the cafe as we walked along the beach front, I loved the signage outside and saw an employee sticking pretty decals on the windows. As we walked back round we decided to stop off for lunch.

It's only a tiny shop (there are about four in total across the city) but they have a great selection of food both savory and sweet, all have strong Italian influences. I plumped for the pesto lasagna (why have I never thought of this combination before!?) and a coffee, followed with some chunky flapjack, served with natural yoghurt.


I know the food isn't strictly Spanish but you'll only find this little delight in Barcelona so if you go you should give it a try :-)



6. La Boqueria - Barcelona's Food Market
Situated just off La Rambla it's one of the oldest markets in Spain, thought to have been in business since the 13th century. It offers everything from live lobsters, fresh fruit and veg to homemade desserts and breads.



I didn't get chance to go this time but it's a very good reason for planning a return trip :-)



7. The Catalan passion for food

All over this cosmopolitan city there are interesting independent restaurants, cafes, bakeries and bars to explore. There's never any reason to go hungry in this city.

One worth a special mention is Shoko, we visit here on the Saturday night and whilst it probably wasn't the most amazing food I'd ever eaten (although it was good) the reason I want to mention it is because I loved the interior and atmosphere. 





Situated next to the beach it's a restaurant by day and a club by night. It's interior is described as "a cross between a feng shui, Japanese design and a Buddhist meditative feel" and the menu consist of Japanese-Asia cuisine.

For dinner I had the Thai Green Curry which was full-flavoured and the right balance of spice.





So what are you waiting for?  I love this city, for me it had the same effect as Amsterdam did when I first visited, I felt right at home in the authentic yet modern metropolis where it's easy to get away from the tourist traps and find the real Barcelona and there aways seems to be someone friendly ready to help when you get lost. With so much yet to still explore and experience I know I will be going back one day, soon hopefully.

Wow, I went a bit Judith Chalmers on you then :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment