Saturday 22 January 2011

Budapest's best restaurant?

On the saturday night in Budapest we decided we still wanted to stick to Hungarian dishes but thought we would try the highly recommended restaurant from our lonely planet guide - Klassz.

Compared to the previous nights restaurant it was tiny, modern, bright and beautifully decorated with unusual clashing wallpaper, well known for its wine selection and on the designer avenue, Andrássy út (a bit like London's Bond Street). I was in love with the place immediately.

Then the food! I had to build up to taking pictures as it was such a small restaurant I didn't want to look like a complete tourist and I was embarrassing Mat with all the picture taking so I missed the starters. I had grilled foie gras and Mat went for a paprika soup that was served at the table from a copper pot that was poured over a lump of cheese in the bowl - yum.

For mains I went for the duck with a poached pear and golden dumplings. Everything was well seasoned and the duck cooked to perfection, slightly pink inside - amazing. Mat went for pork (again) that was tender and served with potatoes and seasonal green vegetables. This was all washed down with another amazing Hungarian red wine, a 2008 pinot noir by St. Andrea.

Desserts were kept simple with a creme caramel and apple pie and custard, sometimes less is definitely more.

I would highly recommend anyone who visits Budapest to visit Klassz but get there early-ish as you cant book.

No comments:

Post a Comment