Wednesday 18 May 2011

I Should Cocoa

Like 99.9% of the population I love chocolate so when someone tries to convince me that my beloved Dairy Milk isn't all it's cracked up to be it's going to take more than words to make me change my mind. It's going to take chocolate, lots of free chocolate and thankfully at the More Cocoa @ In-Toto Kitchens chocolate event, words alone were not the only ammunition in the quest to convert the chocolate scoffer into the chocolate aficionado. The aim of the event was to educate taste buds to the flavour and benefits 'proper' chocolate has to offer and reduce our consumption of the artificially sweetened varieties we are used to finding on the shelves of our shops.

I came across the event on Groupon, my new favourite obsession, and decided to treat my Sister (and myself) for her Birthday. It was co-run by chocolatier Dean Lucas, owner of More Cocoa and Belinda Dangerfield owner of the In-toto kitchen showroom in Birmingham (where you can swoon at beautiful kitchens) and Funky Kitchen online kitchen accessories store (where you can purchase lots of cool Joseph and Joseph products). Designed as a taster session for future events where instead of relaxing and enjoying the fruits of Dean's labour you can get hands on and make the chocolate goodies yourself.

Making us REAL hot chocolate
The In-toto showroom is located near The Mailbox so really easy to get to and find, arriving a little bit early for our 11am slot me and Sue nipped next door to Cafe Blend for a cuppa. In time to take our seats in pole position (aka closest too the actual chocolate) we were greeted by Belinda and a glass of Sodastream Clear Cranberry Raspberry. Although I remember having a Sodastream as a kid I think it got relegated to the back of the cupboard before I got to actually taste a drink made by it. I was really impressed, not what I expected at all, tasted really natural and I was surprised to learn that all flavours are free from any artificial flavours, colourings or sweeteners. This could be the answer to curbing my consumption of full fat coke? Plus it would look ace in my kitchen.

How could you resist a product with strapline like this?!

So then, to the chocolate, well it didn't take long for me to be totally convinced with the More Cocoa argument as it turns out that better chocolate is actually good for you. Chocolate with a high cocoa content and free from additives and artificial chemicals can lift your mood by raising the level of endorphins and serotonin in your brain. The flavonoids contained within it act as a natural antioxidant in your system, helping your body’s cells to fight damage, and the flavonoids even help with bad cholesterol. Also the natural caffeine can give you an energy boost, oh yeah and it tastes pretty good too!

Cocoa Pods
We got to top up our endorphins and serotonin levels via some extremely delicious dark and milk Belgium chocolate starting with the chocolate fountain.

Chocolate fountain
My fountain spoils
Then we moved on to a REAL hot chocolate (non of your powered disappointment here) just simply put chocolate callets (posh chocolate buttons to you and me) in the base of a glass and then fill with warm milk and stir until it dissolves, just as easy as making the instant stuff and way more satisfying.


Before reaching our chocolate limit we managed to devour the most amazing chocolate truffle ever followed with a chunk of chocolate brownie.

Truffles ready to eat
Preparing brownies for the oven
Yum!
After two hours of indulging our passion for chocolate we left with our little goody bag filled with chocolate, recipes and a voucher to use online at Funky Kitchens. I never thought I'd say it but I would think twice about picking the Dairy Milk next time I need a chocolate hit.

More Cocoa @ In-toto Kitchens are run by very friendly and enthusiastic people and makes a great gift for a chocoholic. If you'd like to find out more about the forthcoming workshops then contact the In-toto showroom on 0121 633 8357 or email birmingham@intoto.co.uk for availability.

As a special offer Foody Faces readers can get the taster event, same as the one I did, for the special price of £10, just make sure you quote the code 'FOODYFACES' when you book your spot.

Offer valid for a limited time. Please contact In-toto Kitchens Birmingham for full Ts&Cs. Only valid against chocolate taster sessions.

3 comments:

  1. That sounds amazing! Would be a great gift for a certain chocoholic I know....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, I get the hint :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was not hinting promise! I was thinking of someone else (but i wouldn't say no!) :-)

    ReplyDelete