Monday 2 May 2011

Kerry gets grilled

After my little introduction yesterday I thought it only fair that Kerry had a right to reply. Being a seasoned hack I new she could stand up to the tough questioning...

Biggest food loves?
I'm a mood eater, so that's a toughie. I'm eating a lot of caprese salad at the moment; tomatoes, mozzarella and fresh basil. I pimp it though and add rocket, spinach and proscuitto.

Image via www.mastermousepatrol.com
 
Biggest food loathings?
I'm funny about textures; I'll never eat Aubergine. Never.

Best meal you cook?
I recently visited Kenya and loved the food. So, I've recently started cooking a Swahili chicken in coriander and tomato sauce with mango, red onion and coriander salad. It's my current best.

The kitchen gadget you couldn't live without?
A bottle opener. I also like long-stemmed teaspoons.

Best childhood food memory?
I was fussy. Bizarrely, I habitually ate soggy cucumber and tomato sandwiches so that stands out. However, Friday night tea at my nan's was the best; scalloped chips, Finder's crispy pancakes, followed by jelly. It was here I first tasted corn on the cob drenched in butter too. I ate one the other night and it transported me back.

My mum's wholewheat pasta spag bol deserves a mention too.


Describe the most amazing meal you've ever eaten?
A traditional Swahili fish supper in Kenya; freshly-caught crab, rolled red snapper, paprika spiced polenta, coconut rice, crispy seaweed all drowned in coriander sauce. I'd been snorkelling all morning and was starving too.


Favourite TV chef?
I like most of them, actually. The Great British Bake Off judges, the Masterchef twosome. There's been a Nigella backlash but I love her. I always want to make all of Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall's (or HFW as I like to call him) River Cottage stuff. And I want to be friends with Simon Rimmer.

Favourite regularly visited affordable restaurant?
Lorenzo's, Westow Hill, Crystal Palace, London. My first and last Italian. Nothing fancy but everything is so tasty. I often have baked goat's cheese and spinach bake followed by tortellini proscuitto. Their rum and raisin ice cream is the best.

The restaurant you'd love to visit?
I've never eaten at a Michelin-starred place, and would love to. I'd love to check out Heston's Fat Duck. I'm a sucker for hype.

Image via www.telegraph.co.uk
Last but not least, is there a Kerry/Emily Childhood foody memory you'd like to share?
You really have an impressive, if slightly Doctor Who-power-of-time-travel-like memory, so have most of it covered. I do, however, remember the first time I had dinner at your house with your family. Chicken, new pots and green beans. It was delicious, and I particularly remember the gravy. Tasty, light, no lumpy bits. It was like a culinary awakening. My mum always used/uses beef Bisto which I refused to eat for years after that lovely, sophisticated meal Norma rustled up.

No comments:

Post a Comment