Sunday 10 April 2011

The F1 Cake of Awesomeness

I wanted to created an special cake for Sean's Birthday and after seeing Baking Made Easy when Lorraine Pascale made the three tiered red velvet cake I'd thought "maybe she's right, maybe it's easy".
Armed with my tried-and-tested Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall sponge cake recipe I bottled the challenge ever so slightly opting for a three tiers cake but in a way which meant I would only have to tackle on lot of icing as I'd never iced a cake before.



Trying to keep it a secret wasn't easy but the making of the cake wasn't too difficult, except for a minor hiccup with the roll out icing - nothing the royal icing couldn't cover (thanks again Delia).

Anyway forget the evolution of man, here's the evolution of an F1 Cake...






The cake was topped with some checkered flag inspired ribbon, F1 toy car complete with flashing blue light and 'realistic' F1 car sound effect and three fire fountains, which scared the hell out of me, thankfully Sean's brother Tom was on hand to light them :-)

1 comment: