Tuesday 12 April 2011

Last weeks cheap eats...

I've finally found my local Butcher - I don't mean I was lost, instead that I was yet to find the Butcher that gave me a service that wasn't akin to a supermarket shelf. So last week I finally visited K R Evans Butchers, Lichfield.

 
It's not the most appealing from the outside although it's clean, tidy with meat in the window :-) but I'm ashamed to say that I judged this book by it's cover always favouring 'the other' Butchers in Lichfield centre as they have a nice awning, pretty blackboards with nice writing, but also unfortunately staff that seem to be anywhere else than serving you.

In contrast Evans Butcher's are friendly and very helpful and the selection of meat on offer was more exciting, they had offal, game and made it feel like they wanted to educate me and were passionate about what they did.

So I left with turkey thighs - always a good bet as you know you'll use them for something, a rabbit and two lambs hearts (all incredibly good value).

So last week I transformed my humble turkey thighs into a Moroccan feast...



The Moroccan spiced turkey was marinaded for a good few hours and then cooked in a hot oven and served with Jamie Oliver's Carrot Salad (grated carrots, Clementine segments, olive oil, salt, pepper and chopped chives) and a fruity couscous (couscous mixed with plump sultanas,  persevered lemons, olive oil and fresh mint).

My marinade for the turkey was:
4 tablespoons of Olive oil
1 tablespoon of Lime Juice
1 tablespoon of Lemon Juice
1 teaspoon of Cumin
1 teaspoon of All Spice
1/2 teaspoon of Cinnamon
Salt
Pepper

The rabbit and Lambs Hearts will be eaten soon and will let you know how I get on. I've already been back to Evans to buy the meat for the Birthday Burritos and got the same warm welcome as I did the first time, I think we'll be very happy together :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment